Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Watermelon Fo Days!


Yes... I know it might be a little bizarre to dedicate an entire post to a watermelon, but this one deserves it! Its the huge 30 pound beauty I mentioned in my farmers market post. I got this baby for $10 which I thought was a great deal considering its size, plus its Local, Organic, and an Heirloom variety (Moon & Stars). 

The farmers working the stand and their families were all so kind and helpful, I learned their farm is in Southwest Michigan (Benton Harbor) but they come all the way to Illinois to share their amazing produce! These wonderful people are from Lake Breeze Organics please be sure to check out them out - here's the link to their website

If you are in the Benton Harbor or Chicago area you can become part of their CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) by purchasing a share in their yield. This means that each week, from early June to late September, you will get to pick up a box of fresh, organic produce that has just been harvested. Although the upfront cost is a bit expensive (Illinois residents pay $550 for a full share and $300 for a half share - these prices are a little cheaper if you're a Michigan resident since they don't have to transport it), it is ABSOLUTELY worth it when you consider what you get out of it and that it lasts for 4 months! I'm a little late for this year but I'll definitely take part in this next year. Wooo sorry that was a kind of a rant but I just wanted to get the word out there. 

Somebody's curious about this huge melon.... lol


Benny says, "Can I have a bite?"


No comments:

Post a Comment