Monday, September 22, 2014

Real Techniques: Review & Haul


I know a TON of people already know and love Real Techniques brushes, but I am finally jumping on the band wagon! I recently picked up the three brushes pictured above, from top to bottom they are the: Powder Brush, Blush Brush, and Expert Face brush. I have owned one Real Techniques brush before, the Setting Brush (shown below). I purchased the setting brush at Ulta probably close to 2 years ago and have been loving it. It has held up very well through travel, uses, and washing and has probably only shed a few hairs in all the time I've had it which is great. 


Since I loved the Setting Brush so much I don't know what took me so long to finally try out some of RT's other brushes but I'm so glad I finally did :) So to start off I'll just quickly mention the things I love about the brushes in general, then get in to the more specific details about each brush and what I like to use them for. 



So overall the thing I love most about these brushes is that they are soooo freaking SOFT!! I'm sure many of you who own one of these or who have felt one in a store can understand what I mean. With some brushes (even expensive/high end ones!) it can feel like the bristles are almost a bit sharp and pokey when the touch your face, but that is definitely not the case with these. I'm not sure if this has to do with the fact that they are synthetic or if it's how they're made and as long as they stay ultra soft and smooth I don't even care haha! Speaking of the fact that they're synthetic bristles, brings me to another thing I love about RT, all their products are Cruelty Free and not tested on animals! Although I do not exclusively use cruelty free makeup, I consider this to be a major bonus - props to the Chapman girls for keeping their products kind :) Another thing I have noticed, and loved, about RT brushes is that they seem to be very easy to clean. I can't say for sure, but I feel like it has to do with the fact that they are so fluffy and plush. Even though the brushes are all nicely full and dense the hair are long and very flexible, making it easier for the cleanser to do its job. The final thing I love about these brushes is the price. Here in the US, most of their face brushes range from 8 to 10 dollars, eye brushes are about $6, and they have some brush sets which range from $10-$18 depending on how many brushes it comes with. For the brushes I have I ended up paying: $9 each for the Expert Face Brush and Blush Brush, $10 for the large Powder Brush, and $8 for the Setting Brush, so 36 dollars for all four. I've also been loving the few Sigma brushes I have, and while they are more affordable than MAC they are still a bit on the pricey side (most eye brushes are $14+ and face brushes are $20-$30). So I would definitely recommend Real Techniques brushes to someone who is just getting in to makeup and doesn't have a fortune to spend on brushes or for anyone looking to expand their brush collection. They are such great quality you really can't go wrong! On to the specifics, first the Powder Brush...



This brush is BIG, almost like a kabuki I would say. But it is also super plush and does a nice job picking up product and dispersing it evenly. I mainly use this brush for either powder (MAC MSF Natural) or if I'm using an all-over bronzer and it does a great job for both of those purposes. I also really enjoy using this brush to help smooth and buff liquid foundation in to my skin after applying it with a BeautyBlender or my fingers to make it look more seamless. I probably wouldn't recommend using this to APPLY foundation, since its not quite dense enough, but I think it does an awesome job at smoothing out any lines and really helps you achieve a flawless look. Next, we have the Blush Brush...



I LOVE this brush! Like the others, it is super soft and fluffy, but because it is slightly tapered it still allows you to apply the blush precisely where you want it. I really love the tapered shape for this reason becuase sometimes when a blush brush is super fluffy it can spread the product around a bit "willy nilly" and leave you looking like you just sprinted a mile. Luckily, I haven't had that problem with this one! Since this brush is on the larger side you could also use it to powder your entire face. Last but certainly not least, the Expert Face Brush...


Let me just say that this brush has totally changed my opinion on using brushes for liquid foundation. Normally, if I'm wearing liquid foundation (which isn't super often - most days I don't wear makeup at all because I'm too busy hoarding it lol) I apply it with either my fingers or a BeautyBlender because I feel like, for me, it blends in best this way. If I use a brush, it usually makes my skin look patchy or leaves visible brush strokes - probably because I have very dry skin. However, with this expert face brush the foundation buffs in very smoothly without irritating my dry skin or leaving lines. I honestly don't know for sure what makes this brush so good for liquid foundation but these are my guesses: 1) the bristles are densely packed but still very flexible unlike some paddle-style foundation brushes which have more stiff hairs, and 2) the domed shape of the brush allows you to buff more smoothly than a flat top brush. Like I said those are just my guesses - but if anyone has other thoughts or ideas please let me know!

That pretty much sums up my little Real Techniques Review and Haul, hope it was helpful or interesting to somebody out there :) Have a great week everyone!

xoxo emma


Left to Right: Real Techniques Powder Brush, Blush Brush, and Expert Face Brush


No comments:

Post a Comment